28 October 2022

The Magic of a Classic DC-3

When I heard CHATHAMS 3 calling Auckland Tower I was wondering what it was... but then mention of direct to Mangere Bridge I had an idea... Then I heard CHATHAMS 803 and thought I had got it wrong...

But, no CHATHAMS 3 was as I thought,,, it brings back memories of watching NAC DC-3 Skyliners landing at Hokitika at the end of the Wellington-Nelson-Westport-Hokitika milk run... 

I hope you will excuse the number of photos but it is classic DC-3... Thanks to Craig and Air Chathams for preserving and continuing to fly this New Zealand classic...

... and an idea for Craig and Grant, given Skyiner ZK-AWP is named "Kaitaia" it would be great to see it flying a Barrier Air service to Kaitaia some time. I have looked at the histories and there are no significant anniversaries are coming up I still think it would be a great idea so see this classic flying into the centres it served so faithfully for so long. The challenge is laid.

Air Chathams Douglas DC-3 ZK-AWP landing at Auckland on 23 October 2022










For a pictorial history of ZK-AWP go to 

3 comments:

  1. You and I must have been in the same place at the same time - identical shots , as you I thought I heard the call sign incorrectly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on ZK-AWP for a scenic ride over Tauranga for my 21st Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing shots Steve!

    ReplyDelete