18 May 2026

Originair resumes Westport

 


Today Originair has resumed its Wellington to Westport service. BAe Jetstream 32 ZK-JSK operated this mornings inbound service OGN601, and the outbound OGN602. 

The Service was temporarily saved after a last minute reprieve from Development West Coast (DWC). 

On the 5th of May, DWC approved one month of support for the Wellington/Westport route, enabling services to resume on Monday, 18 May 2026 whilst discussions for ongoing support with Central Government continue.

“We’ve been in discussions with Development West Coast and the Buller District Council for some time, and we’re pleased to be working together on a practical way to keep flights operating in the near term,” said Originair’s Managing Director, Robert Inglis.

DWC Chief Executive, Heath Milne, said after months of engagement with Originair and Buller District Council (BDC) it’s pleasing to see a potential way forward with the support of Government.

Mr Milne advised that after recent discussions with Government and the Regional Investment Fund (Kanoa) a formal request for interim funding had been approved by the DWC Trustees to keep the Westport service going in advance of Ministers confirming on-going support arrangements.

“This gives the community some certainty while longer-term decisions are worked through.”


Flights will be operated twice a week on Mondays and Fridays, and at this stage, operate through to the 12th of June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment