19 September 2018

Sunderland Flight to the Chathams




Yesterday Will Lawson left me a comment on the blog about flying to the Chatham Islands on an RNZAF Shorts Sunderland in response to my post on the RNZAF's service to the Chatham Islands... http://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-rnzaf-pioneering-air-services-to.html

Will wrote, I flew on a Sunderland from Evans Bay to the Chathams in January 1964. I was one of a group of surveyors from the Department of Lands and Survey (Brian Wells, Tony Bates, Ian Miles and myself). There was another group of private surveyors led by Ken Wynne. We had a number of attempts at take off, but the trip took less time than usual because of a tail wind. I would appreciate if the exact date could be confirmed together with any information about the particular aircraft and crew. Will Lawson. 

It subsequently sent me another email and photos of the Sunderland at Wellington and the Chathams. The struggle to get airborne was on Wellington Harbour.  We were on forms in the bomb bay if I remember rightly and somehow the propellers were whipping up water that somehow found it’s way into the bomb bay and we got quite wet.  No complaints though – it was one of the more exciting journeys I have undertaken.

Short Sunerland NZ4120 in Wellington in January 1964...

and a little later at Chatham Islands



Will's question about the identity of the aircraft is is easily answered, from the Z on the fuselage, the Sunderland was NZ4120...

The questions about the crew and the exact date (sometime in January 1964) are something beyond my realm of knowledge or research. If anyone has information about the exact date and crew members please either email me (westland 831@gmail.com) or Will (will@foxsurvey.co.nz).

Also, if anyone has any photos of an RNZAF Bristol Freighter on the Chathams operating their post Sunderland service to the Chathams I would really love to get a copy for the blog! Cheers, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment