28 February 2023

Works didn't work for me


I had my first international flight with Air New Zealand since Covid on the weekend and was travelling on a Works fare - meal and movies - for the almost five hour flight to Adelaide...

Meal choice was a Vegetarian Fritata or Muesli. And this was it was a soggy, small piece of fritata, a spoonful of relish that was stuck to the base and a small cinnamon roll... I was left feeling hungry and considering ordering something else to fill me up. I don't usually complain but I did send one to Air NZ on this - I would have been better off getting a breakfast meal from McDonalds and taking that on board. I hope this is not a sign of the direction Air New Zealand is wanting to go... The couple next to me - who brought their own food - remarked how stingy it was.




On the plus side the cabin crew were superb... their attention to the passengers around me who had certain needs was exceptional. Meals like this let them down too!


PS - Thanks to Paul for a reminder of what meals used to look like



12 comments:

  1. Is this an aviation blog or a rant page about airline food? Disappointing post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you okay?

      Mate, you literally answered your own question. 'Aviation Blog'. Surely product offering on our National Carrier well fit within these terms! If you still don't like it, I'm sure you may find another Blog that fits your requirements.

      Delete
  2. I had the same thing in works deluxe SYD/ZQN - A fritatta 1/2 the size you posted with 1 breakie sausage and 6 mushrooms and a ramekin of tomato sauce LOL

    Just as well the vodka was free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First International Flight with Air New Zealand Steve? Really? Haha I mean we know you are a true blue Regional FF, but that fact came as a shock! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops... missed "since Covid" - Fixed it

      Delete
  4. I agree with Steve. On board catering has been slowing deteriorating since Mr Luxon was appointed the airline's CEO. Now with the airline getting back to normal, lets hope Greg Foran can improve the onboard catering experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only made one single one way fare long haul voyage with ANZ and that was from HKG to Akl. I am not a fan and I am sorry to say. Sorry but it’s not me and stepping on a trans tas flight is enough Kiaora, I prefer other long haul carriers and must say the A380 is a dream for London and back, foods great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Air NZ is a bit like Qantas. An old Dinosaur that tries to be a premium service but cuts $2 off ever seat in minuscule savings in order to claw back losses.

    Look at Airlines like Sounds, Barrier and Chats that constantly punch above their weight delivering a premium service on razor thin margins operating in an incredibly tough climate whilst Air NZ are taking every pilot they have and still they survive. It’s pretty easy to run an airline that will always be backed up by the government, you need to do better Air Nz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve seen better meals on LCC’s! Awfully ironic the box branding too…I guess this is what you get when the boss is a supermarket manager.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I switched all my flying to Qantas. Great meals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To be fair that’s pretty piss poor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. See Stuff review https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/experiences/300840151/we-put-air-nzs-new-economy-food-to-a-mystery-test

    ReplyDelete